Kathu Mining Museum, opened in August 2009, is a very informative cultural and historical attraction in Phuket. A visit with a guide (or someone who has some knowledge about Phuket history) is recommended as, for now, most of the signs and descriptions are only available in Thai.
The museum offers inside and outside exhibitions:
- understanding the begining of the world (with formation of minerals and animal evolution)
- Phuket's people way of life during Tin mines era (approx. 200 years ago)
- various Tin mining processes
- demonstration of smeltery, and products made out of brut Tin
- journey of Chinese merchants
- reconstructed Kathu village during Tin mines era (shops, Chinese opera, Opium den, ...)
- walk in the mine's landscapes
Kathu Mining Museum is located on the road between Loch Palm Golf Club and British Curriculum. You can't miss the entrance: a Sino-Portugese shaped double arch in the middle of nowhere (hills and jungle all around).
Open from 08.00 to 16.00 - Closed on Sunday