Living Guide for Phuket Thailand – Phuket.Net

Thailand Retirement Visa

A retirement visa is issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take take up residence in Thailand for at least one year. As the name suggests, a retirement visa (“O-A” Long Stay) does not entitle the holder to engage in any form of work.

1) Qualifications

  • A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above (on the date of submitting the application).
  • Not being prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E.2522(A.D.1979).
  • Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
  • Must be a national or a resident of the country where his/her application is submitted.
  • Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535).
  • Not seeking to work in Thailand.

2) Required documents

  • A passport valid for at least 18 months.
  • Three copies of visa application form (TM.7) completely filled out.
  • Three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months.
  • A personal Data Form.
  • A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.
  • In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well.
  • Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).
  • A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535), which shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission.
  • In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence and should be notorized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (The spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category O).

3) Application procedure

Applicants can submit their applications both at the Thai embassy/consular missions where they have their permanent residence or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand.

Section 1, Sub-Division 1,
Immigration 1, Immigration Bureau,
Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road,
Sathorn District,
Bangkok 10120
Tel: (662) 287-4948 or 287 3101-10 ext. 2236

Please be advised that the following applicants are eligible to apply for this type of visa in the country:

  • Applicants undergoing Health Rehabilitation Programs in hospitals or Health Centres. These organizations will apply on behalf of the individual applicant.
  • Applicants who are spouses/parents/children of applicants above.
  • Applicants to whom the agencies or organizations approved by the Office of the Immigration Bureau have applied for a visa on their behalf. The applicants must have the qualifications stated above.
  • The Consular missions will be notified to issue visa to the individual applicant when the Office of Immigration Bureau has given approval.

4) Fees

5,000 Baht for multiple entries

5) Note

Foreigners must report to an Immigration Office in their area of residence every 90 days. If there is no immigration office they can report to the local police station.

In order to report by mail, you should:

  • Send the completed Report Form (Tor Mor 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the applicant’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp together with a self-addressed envelope with affixed postage stamp. This must be sent 7 days before the due date, by recoreded mail to the Immigration Bureau: 507 Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120.
  • In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report should be enclosed as well.

5) Extension of Stay

At the end of the one-year stay, foreigners who wish to extend his/her stay shall submit a request for the extended period to the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in Thailand, or an income certificate, of an amount not less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account at the total amount not less than 800,000 Baht a year. Extensions for one year at a time will be granted as long as they meet the requirements as stated earlier and is at the discretion of the Immigration officer. If their spouses wish to extend their stay as well, the marriage certificate must also be produced.

For more information see


Minimum 10 words. Please read our reviews policy.