To encourage tourists to shop in Thailand a VAT refund for tourists scheme was introduced for tourists to be able to claim back the VAT paid on certain items.
“Visitors entering the Kingdom on tourist visa are entitled to refunds of the 7% value added tax (VAT) paid on goods purchased at shops, department stores and other retail outlets displaying VAT Refund for Tourists signs, where tax refund application forms are available. Prior to airport departure, visitors must present a completed VAT refund form, plus passport information and purchase receipts, to a customs officer. Certain luxury goods, such as jewelry, gold ornaments, watch, glasses, or pen, must be shown to an excise official at the VAT refund office at the departure lounge after passport control. Refunds may be in bank draft form or credited to a credit card.”
Source: Revenue Department of Thailand.
- Refunds can only be claimed by a non-Thai visitor who has been in the Kingdom for less than 180 days in that calendar year. Air-crew departing Thailand on duty are ineligible for the refund.
- A refund only applies to goods taken out of the country within 60 days after purchase.
- The minimum purchase is at least 2,000 baht per store – per day.
- Total value of purchases must be over 5,000 baht.
- Goods must be purchased from stores displaying the “VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS” sign.
- You must present your passport to the sales assistant to obtain a PP10 VAT refund form.
- Keep hold of all receipts and credit card vouchers.
- You must depart Thailand by air from an International Airport (Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc.)
Your documents need to be inspected and approved prior to checking in. This is done at the VAT Refund Office in the departure hall. Your refund is then processed in the departure lounge of the airport. For this reason you must have your purchases in your hand luggage.
Further information can be found on the Revenue Department’s website: http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/engindex.html
Things To Do
Subscribe to our Newsletter
If you did like to stay updated with all our latest news please enter your e-mail address here.
Whatever you do, wherever you are, we make sure customers find you
- Connect & Socialize